Well, never really done a build thread before, mainly due to the fact that every time I ever do a build or a mod I usually think about it once I've finished. However, camera phone to the ready, I thought I'd record my journey with this fine offering from WPL. Not sure anybody will be interested, but hey ho.
The first thing to say is, out the box, this RTR version is a complete PoS. That's a little unfair perhaps, in so far as it does look really good, but pretty much everything else about it is total pants, even for 22 quid delivered.
The steering is literally a switch, turn the wheel 0.5mm either side of centre and it turns the wheel 100% to L or R in one movement. Well that's the theory anyway, the reality is that on carpet it would barely turn left and wouldn't steer right at all. The driveline was binding, so much so that the motor smelt like it was on its last legs after about two mins, and the Tx was so unbelievably crap that after about five mins trying to complete a few basic manoeuvres I gave up, removed my AA nimh's and threw the Tx in the bin. The truck went in the display cabinet with my old Dinky & Matchbox cars, where it stayed for six months until yesterday when I had the urge to give it a bit of a refresh.
So... here it is, fresh out of the box from China, looking great, and before I realised just how bad an RC could be. I know RTR really means ready to rebuild, but this thing brings a totally new meaning to that concept.
Well, stripped it down to rip out all the crap electrics, and commence the rebuild, which I initially thought would consist mainly of tightening loose / misaligned screws, adding washers/shims where required, and fitting the new leccy bits. BTW where do they find hardware of such poor quality? Must have had to travel a fair while...
I actually stripped the steering 'switch' down as I thought I might be able to bodge a micro receiver box out of it for my next project, a Hong Nor X1CR BL conv'. It was at this point that I realised that much of the binding I experienced on first use was down to the two halves of the 'telescopic' rear centre drive shaft binding together and the rear half coming out of the rear diff at about a 30 deg angle.
So, realised that I needed to shorten both halves, and while the axle was apart I also addressed two further issues from stock. That is, to add some grease to the gears and a drop of CA to each of the two white plastic bushings on each side of the outdrive as when running (the front one at least) had a tendency to walk itself out of the axle/diff casing and up the driveshaft... These things are cheap for a reason.
The other main task was to add washers/o-rings to almost every link, both ends, as out of the box the thing was just so 'loose' that when I shook it I thought I'd discovered a new type of Maracas.
That pretty much brings us up to date. The truck is mainly going to be used by my son & daughter as an indoor screen alternative, and as such I won't be going for the full on 'scale' look. There's lots of that kind of thing on YT by far more talented people than me, so if that's your thing, take a looksy at people like the 'Random Mechanic' and 'Goncalo Quinas' on the tube of you. I may, however, paint the wheels, and attempt to fit some kind of pickup 'tub', so my daughter can drive her puppy in my pocket figures around the house. Oh, and decide on a body colour.
Here we have some bits... hmmm... I like bits... Anyway, enough of that. 20 or 30a brushed esc, can't remember which, but either way plenty for this application, with selective brake function and fwd/rev. Will need to solder on a JST for the motor and prob some larger gauge wires while I'm at it.
Then there's an MG90S servo that I dug out the parts box and a couple of other 130 size cans, one came out the steering 'servo' switch box, no idea what rpm it is, but might try it, likewise the Basher motor, that came from a HK sale for about a quid, again no idea on rpm, may work, may not. Might look at a 180 motor conv' in due course if the 130's get a bit dull.
Then there's the stock nicd battery which I'll use to start with, though will also try on both 1S and 2S, see which works best. And there's a bag of accessory bits for the body, everything from wing mirrors to winch shackles, which I won't fit till I've painted the body, obviously!